So I was Pinterest-ing today (per usual) and I came across this recipe. It looked so so good so I had to try it! As I was making it, however, there were a few things I changed for a couple of reasons.
- I could not for the life of me scoop out the innards of a whole tomato without breaking the outside of the tomato. In order to remedy this, I just cut a tomato in half and made 2 servings out of one tomato.
- I didn’t think it needed that much cheese (ok, everything needs that much cheese, but in order to make it a little more health-friendly, I changed the type and amount of cheese).
Though I did put my own twist on this recipe, I didn’t change it enough to feel comfortable calling it my own, so the recipe is here.
I will, however, give you my substitutions and the nutrition content for my version!
This can be gluten-free as long as you make sure to get cheese that is not mixed with flour (many times shredded cheeses are tossed with flour to prevent sticking).
Amount per serving: 103 calories– 3g carbs– 6g fat– 9g protein
- 1 medium tomato (cup in half with the insides scooped out)
- 2 tablespoons part-skim shredded mozzarella cheese (1 tablespoon per tomato cup)
- 2 large eggs
- salt, pepper, and basil to taste
- Follow the directions listed here
- The only thing I changed here is that I put the tomatoes in a cupcake pan to keep them upright. I had to shimmy the tomato out of the pan at the end, but as long as you lightly loosen the edges with a spoon, you should be able to easily lift the tomato from the cupcake pan.
Overall, this was a great recipe. It’s quick and easy to make and it can be used for pretty much any meal. The savory of the tomato is perfect with the egg. It did get a little bit messy, so I cut up some toasted bread into strips and used it to soak up all the yummy yolk at the end!
If you don’t like runny yolk, just bake it a little bit longer.
If you want to cut calories and fat even further, you can just use 2 egg whites (though I wouldn’t, personally because I love egg yolk–runny or solid. So much good fat and protein!)