Every time my husband and I go shopping, a bag of those frozen buffalo chicken bites sneaks its way into our cart. Then, over the course of about 2 or 3 days, the bag goes from being full in the freezer to being empty in the trash can. Do I ever get any? Nope. There are a couple reasons. First, my husband loves them so by the time I remember they’re in the freezer they’re usually gone. Second, if I do remember they’re there, I take one look at the nutrition content on the back of the bag and decide against them (even though I have an obsession with buffalo chicken anything). I make chicken nuggets a few days back, so I decided I’d try to make buffalo chicken bites. I’m please to announce that it was a major success!
A serving of frozen buffalo chicken bites is 3 pieces. THREE PIECES. That’s like, maybe half a chicken breast…if you take the 3 biggest pieces from the bag. That serving is 150 calories, 7 grams of fat, 12 grams of protein, and I can’t even promise you that it’s chicken. This recipe is much better for you, and gives you way more food.
Guiltless Buffalo Chicken Bites
Amount per serving: 245 calories—18g carbs—2g fat—40g protein
**: nutrition information reflects ½ of the amount of the ingredient listed due to excess shaken off or not used during the process.
- 12 oz chicken breast (it was about 3 chicken breasts for me)
- ¼ cup flour**
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion salt
- ½ cup Franks Red Hot or other buffalo sauce**
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs**
- cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut up your chicken breast into bite sized pieces.
- Mix together flour, garlic powder, and onion salt into a bowl.
- Pour the Franks Red Hot in another bowl.
- Pour the Panko into another bowl.
- Move each piece of chicken from the flour mixture to the buffalo sauce to the Panko then onto a greased (nonstick spray) baking sheet.
- Lightly spray the top of the bites and bake for 5 minutes. Flip, respray, and bake for another 5 minutes.
- Serve with a dressing of choice (bleu cheese for this family) and dig in!
I paired this with some homemade French fries but you can serve it with whatever you’d like! This would be great for appetizers at a Superbowl party or tailgating event! You don’t even have to tell anyone it’s healthy ;) The way I cut the chicken (nugget sized pieces) it made 10-12 bites per serving!
If you are interested in supporting me please check out my ebook on Amazon and purchase, its a digital download that you can use on your kindle. If you need another format I can send you a pdf or eb