Hey everyone! Today I wanted to make something that could be a candy bar substitute for those candy cravings! This is sweet, so, even though the pieces of this bar are small, they’re definitely enough to satisfy a sweet tooth! There’s also a little saltiness in there (I love sweet and salty together) AND it has a ton of protein in it! This bar has a great texture to it as well. It’s chewy, but the pretzels in it give it an awesome crunch! What could be better right?
Honey Chocolate Crunch Bars
Servings: 3 (1 bar per serving)
Amount per serving: 135 calories- 26g carbs- 2g fat- 6g protein- 19g sugar
- 2 tbs whey chocolate protein powder (I used Body Fortress and it was ½ of a scoop)
- 3 tbs honey
- ¼ c Old Fashioned Oats (not quick oats)
- 5 mini pretzels- crushed
- 1 tbs shredded coconut (if you don’t like coconut, you could substitute 1/2 tbs of chocolate chips and the calorie amount would stay the same)
- Combine protein and honey in a bowl- this may take a minute for the two to combine together- until they turn into a thick paste like this:
- Once the two are combined (this will be thick!) put the mixture into a sauce pan and put it on the stove over medium heat.
- The mixture will start to thin from the heat. When it is easier to work with, add the oats and mix thoroughly.
- Using a plastic bag, crush the pretzels up then put them into a greased tray (I used the corner of a bread pan).
- Add the oat mixture to the pretzels and fold the oat mixture into the pretzels.
- Sprinkle the coconut (or chocolate chips) on top and refrigerate for 25-30 minutes.
- Cut into 3rds and enjoy! If you’re bringing them with you, individually wrap them in wax paper-they get a little sticky.
Ideally, this is to make to keep in the fridge for when you want a sweet snack. I don’t know how well they’ll travel, but if you have a small cooler or something of that sort, I’m sure they’d travel just fine!