One of my favorite things to eat at Applebees is Wonton tacos. The spices and sauces on the chicken in those little fried wonton wrappers are to die for. Unfortunately, there’s over 1,000 calories in the appetizer portion. Not so exciting. Hungry Girl posted a recipe for wonton tacos awhile back. I made them and they were great! After I made the chicken ones, I thought, “Hey, why not make other kinds of tacos,too!” A friend of mine posted a recipe for fish tacos on her blog yesterday, so I decided to combine the two ideas and give it my own twist. I created: the Shrimp Wonton Taco!
This taco is topped with my Creamy Jalapeño Lime Sauce, so make sure to check out that recipe! These tacos aren’t the same without it!
Shrimp Wonton Tacos
Servings: 2 (4 tacos per serving)Amount per serving: 187 calories- 25g carbs- 1g fat- 19g protein- 5g sugar
- 8 small Wonton wrappers
- 16 medium shrimp
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 jalapeno pepper- finely chopped
- 1 tomato- chopped
- 1 c lettuce- chopped
- ½ c (one batch) Jalapeno Lime Cream Sauce – divided
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
- Chop your tomato and lettuce and prepare your Jalapeno Lime sauce. Set to the side.
- Fold wonton wrapper over the edge of a well greased cake pan/bread pan. Lightly spray the top of each wrapper.
- Put the wrappers in the oven (while still on the pan) for 3-5 minutes or until they hold their shape and become a little crispy
- In a sauté pan, cook shrimp over medium heat. Add jalapenos, cayenne, and 2 tbs of the sauce to the shrimp and stir until evenly coated.
- Put the cooked shrimp into the wonton wrappers—2 shrimp per taco shell—and respray the shells—lightly. Don’t worry about putting the diced jalapenos in…those were more for cooking flavor.
- Lay tacos on their side and put back into the oven for 2-3 minutes.
- Take out the tacos, fill with lettuce, chopped tomato, and drizzle with the remaining sauce.
That’s it! Now you have a delicious—and big—helping of healthy shrimp tacos! I served them with homemade Mexican rice, but you can serve them with whatever you want!