This post has been a long long long time coming. A friend of mine asked me for this recipe back in October, and I’m just now putting it on the blog (awful, I know!). Regardless, it’s up now! These southwest egg rolls are like the restaurant appetizer, just better for you! The Southwestern Eggrolls from a restaurant are 810 calories per serving (3 pieces). These are 160 calories per serving (2 pieces)! You can thank me later :)
Servings: 5 (2 pieces per serving)
Amount per serving:
- Without Avocado: 160 calories- 20g carbs- 4g fat- 13g protein
- With Avocado: 205 calories– 23g carbs- 8g fat- 13g protein
- 1 chicken breast- cooked and shredded
- 2 tablespoons red bell pepper- minced
- 2 tablespoons onion- minced
- 1/3 cup corn- kernels only (I used a can of corn and drained them)
- 1/4 cup cooked black beans- drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons spinach leafs- minced
- 2 tablespoons jalapeño slices- minced (i used pickled jalapeños)
- 1/2 tablespoon minced parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup shredded 2% cheese (I used monterey-jack but I think cheddar would taste really good as well)
- 5 small flour tortillas
- 1 egg- beaten
- cooking spray
Avocado Dipping Sauce– this is really more of a garnish to put on top because it doesn’t really “dip” well.
- 1 avocado- mashed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Cook and chop/shred your chicken
- Heat up a skillet with some cooking spray in it and sautee the onions and bell peppers over medium heat.
- Once they get tender, add the chicken, corn, beans, and spices to the veggies in the pan and cook for a few minutes.
- In the microwave, warm up your tortillas so they are flexible.
- Move the veggie mixture to a bowl and re-spray your pan.
- Beat the egg in a separate bowl.
- Place some of the veggie mixture in the center of a tortilla, top with a little bit of cheese, then tightly roll up the tortilla– fold up the ends, then roll the tortilla but before you fully close it, brush some of the egg onto the side that will be folded down to create a sticky edge for the tortilla to stick. It will look like a burrito.
- Place the “burrito” seam side down into the pan to sear the edge shut then move it to a baking sheet, again, seam-side down.
- Repeat with the rest of the tortillas.
- Put the rolled up eggrolls into the oven for 10 minutes.
- While they are cooking, mash up your avocado.
- Add lemon juice, salt, and pepper to taste and stir.
- When the eggrolls are done cooking, cut them in half.
- Place the avocado on top if you desire.
- Eat up!!
This looks kind of daunting since it’s 14 steps, but it really goes by quickly and it’s not difficult at all!
My husband wasn’t expecting these to be as good as they were, especially since these are usually fried, but he loved them!