Hello! This is my first food post, so I’m really excited! It’s been really really hot where I live lately and cooking has not been something I’ve wanted to do. Preheating the oven heats up my husband and my apartment really quickly and I wasn’t going to have that today so I decided to make taco salad for dinner! Taco salad can be really high calorie, especially if you eat the taco shell it comes in! I decided to make my own version–sans shell– and it turned out great! I will mention that the fat content of this is relatively high, but the protein content is even higher! You can decrease the amount of fat (and probably the calories, but I haven’t tried) by using ground turkey or leaner ground beef. I may substitute plain Greek yogurt for sour cream next time because that will decrease both fat and calories as well (we just didn’t have any plain Greek yogurt because the store was sold out). Without further ado…
Tasty Taco Salad
Amount per serving: 334 calories- 9g Carbs- 20g Fat- 27g Protein
- 1/4 c. salsa
- 2 tbs light sour cream (divided)
- 2 cloves garlic- minced
- 6 oz. lean ground beef (85/15 was used for the nutrition information for this recipe)
- 1 round tomato- diced
- 2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- Salt/pepper to taste
- 4 c. lettuce
- 1/4 c. shredded cheddar cheese
**You could add beans if you’d like, but beans are the one thing my husband doesn’t eat. If you decide to add beans, the calorie count will (obviously) change.
- Start by combining the salsa and 1 tbs. of sour cream into a small dish. Set aside.
- Lightly spray a saute pan with non-stick spray and sauté minced garlic over medium heat for about 1 minute.
- Add your beef (or turkey or other lean ground meat) and cook until done (this step took about 2-3 minutes for the beef I used).
- When the meat is done, add the diced tomato and cayenne pepper. Turn the heat down during this step so the meat doesn’t get dry.
- Once the tomatoes are a little mushy, add salt and pepper to taste. Then add the salsa/sour cream mixture. After the mixture is added, your beef will look something like this:
- Now all that’s left to do is put 2 cups of lettuce on a plate, top the lettuce with your yummy taco mixture, add 1 tbs sour cream and a little shredded cheese as a garnish and.. Voila!
You’ve made some delicious (and healthy) taco salad without any of that packaged seasoning!
My husband finished it in about 2 minutes (I’m assuming because he thought it was yummy). I added some Texas Pete Hot Sauce to my portion because I like spicy things, but that’s up to you! We thoroughly enjoyed this summer-y dinner and I will definitely be making it again!